It has been a very unforgettable six weeks since my last post. When I use the word unforgettable I don't use it in a good sense. Firstly Christchurch in the South Island of New Zealand was rocked by it's second major earthquake in six months. Almost 200 people from all over the world lost their lives in this tragedy. With New Zealand being such a small country most Kiwis knew someone who was directly affected by the earthquake. The New Zealand community here in Japan was shocked by this but little were they to know that that wasn't the end of the story.
Mid afternoon on Friday the 11th of March 2011 will not be forgotten by the people who experienced the biggest earthquake in Japanese recorded history. The earthquake centred off the north eastern coast of Honshu created a massive tsunami which devastated the Tohoku area. At the time of writing more than 10,000 people have been confirmed dead and more than 20,000 are still missing. I can not begin to comprehend the suffering and shock that the residents of this area are experiencing at the moment. I only hope that the people of Tohoku can get their lives back to normal sooner rather than later. Watching the pictures on television reminded me of the force of Mother Nature and how insignificant we really are. Also the things we worry about on a daily basis are minuscule compared to challenges the people of Tohoku are going to face in the coming months.
Kia kaha Christchurch.
頑張れ東北。
No comments:
Post a Comment